Neopets Site Rules
To keep Neopets a safe, fun, and friendly place for everyone, there are some things that are not permitted and a few safety and privacy tips to keep in mind. Please be sure to keep apprised of these rules and, as always, visit the Help Centre and let us know if you have any questions or concerns!
Rules & Guidelines
While we'd like to list every possible permutation of every rule, that gets problematic very quickly! Real world culture is constantly changing so the rules have to adapt as well. There are so many unique and very specific situations a Neopian may encounter in their travels. Also, it would just take forever to read! Ain't nobody got time for that.
However, we do think the spirit of the rules can be interpreted rather simply, so that's what we've listed below — a clear, concise list of guidelines all Neopians can follow.
1. Neopets is family-friendly
Neopets has players of all ages so inappropriate content doesn't belong here. This includes content and discussion relating to: sexual content, violence, serious physical and mental health issues, self-harm, alcohol and drug abuse, profanity or anything else that's not family-friendly. Don't post text (including stories, roleplay, or song lyrics), imagery, symbols, or anything else with this kind of content. If a post is prevented by the filters, don't attempt to get around them.
The Spirit of the Rule: If you wouldn't want your (real or imaginary) little sister to read it, don't use it!
2. Play Neopets with honesty and fairness
True Neopians work hard and play fair to get ahead in the game. Using any kind of program or outside aid, or attempting to gain an unfair advantage, is considered cheating. That includes sharing an account or using multiple accounts to earn items and/or NP. Neopets is a game and should be played fair and square.
This includes buying and selling Neopoints, Neopets, Accounts, or NP items for real money. We do not sell these things; the only way to earn them legitimately is to play the game. Anyone attempting to sell you these things is not affiliated with us and is breaking the rules, and anyone buying is cheating to get ahead.
The Spirit of the Rule: If you didn't earn it on your own, but used outside help instead, you're cheating and cheating is lame.
3. Treat your fellow Neopians with respect
Don't harass or bully your fellow players in any way. Harassment can include calling people names, using racist or homophobic words/phrases, spreading rumours or public shaming, filing false abuse reports, and in general giving or bringing about unwanted attention. Don't do it.
Please remember that Neopets staff members are Neopians, too.
The Spirit of the Rule: Treat your fellow Neopians the way you'd like to be treated.
4. Thou shalt not steal
Never, ever scam (or attempt to scam) anyone. Scamming can take many forms — attempting to obtain someone else's account information or access their active or abandoned account, tricking people out of their hard-earned NP, items, or pets, pretending to be someone you're not, etc. Any and ALL attempts to scam are not tolerated here.
Do not steal your fellow Neopians' content or creations, or attempt to claim ownership of something that isn't yours. This includes entering stolen artwork or writing into site contests.
The Spirit of the Rule: Stealing is wrong. Keep your virtual hands off other people's virtual stuff.
5. Neopets is not the place to discuss "heated topics" or world issues
We know there are important issues in the world and people want to discuss and debate those issues, but Neopets is a place to get away from all that for a little while. We want everyone to feel safe and happy here, free of worry. However, more often than not, these types of discussions deteriorate and end in harassment or threats. Not cool.
Off-limits "hot" topics include:
- Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
- Violent Real-World Events (past or present)
There are plenty of places on the Internet to discuss these things if you'd like. Neopets is not one of them.
The Spirit of the Rule: Neopia is not the real world.
6. Personal information is personal
To ensure everyone stays safe in Neopia, no one may share information that can be used to personally identify themselves or others. This may include a photo, full name, address, phone number, email address, or other contact information. Do not provide ways to contact you off of Neopets.com, like social networking profiles or sharing instant messenger usernames.
The Spirit of the Rule: What happens in Neopia stays in Neopia.
7. Neopets owns all of Neopia
You may not offer web design (such as making banners, dolls, blinkies, guild layouts, etc.) or other services and use Neopets images or materials to earn money, Neopoints, Neopets or Neopets Items. This is a violation of Neopets copyright and trademark rights and is strictly forbidden.
The Spirit of the Rule: Selling something someone else owns is stealing. And as we mentioned, stealing is bad.
8. Want to have more than one account?
Sure! We just ask these two simple things: 1. Please do not earn Neopoints or participate in any activities that might result in earning Neopoints on these additional accounts. 2. Please do not have more than five (5) (cinco) accounts in total.
The Spirit of the Rule: Actively playing on more than one account will give you an unfair advantage over other users; so please don't do it.
Safety & Privacy Tips
1. Keep personal information personal. Do not share your full name, address, phone number, email address, or other contact information. We also do not allow the posting of a personally identifiable picture.
2. Keep your password private. We strongly recommend changing your password periodically and using a different password for each account.
3. Create a PIN. It's simple! All you have to do is go to PIN Preferences. You can then choose where you would like your PIN to be used; your bank, safety deposit box, shop, and over a dozen other locations.
4. Email address. Periodically check to make sure your email address is current. Simply go to the Change Your Email page. Easy, right?
5. Programs to assist you in playing are not allowed. Using these is considered cheating and you will get your account frozen. Plus, there is a strong chance you will get your account scammed if you try to use one.
6. We're here to help! See something that gets your spyder sense (see what we did there?) tingling? Let us know! Go to the Contact Us page where you can submit a ticket, report a situation, or just spend a few hours perusing our fine hand-crafted FAQs.
7. Follow your family rules when online. If your family has additional rules, follow them! This isn't rocket science, people!
The Spirit of the Rules? Don't share personal information, keep your password and email address current, and follow your family's rules when you're online. Simple!
1. Have fun! We hope this is followed to the letter.
2. Be respectful. We absolutely do not allow profanity, harassment, messages/posts containing disgusting and/or violent situations, or sexually related discussions/messages. If your message is blocked by our filters, there's probably a good reason why. Attempting to bypass our filters to get your message posted is not a good idea. If you are genuinely confused why your post was blocked, let us know! Send us a note from the Contact Us page and include the message.
3. Buying or selling Neopets, Neopet items, and accounts is strictly forbidden. There is no grey area here. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you.
4. Certain topics are off-limits.
- Sexual orientation/gender identity
- Violent real-world events
As stated in the site rules, we know there are issues and situations happening in the world that you may feel strongly about. But Neopets is a place to get away from all of that for a little while. More often that not, discussions of these types - as good intentioned as they may be - deteriorate and end badly. If you want to discuss these topics, Neopets is not the place for them.
5. Scamming in all forms is bad. We will freeze any (and all) accounts of someone attempting to scam another user. Scamming can include (but is not limited to) attempting to obtain another users account information, accessing someone else's account (active or inactive), stealing another users Neopoints, items or pets, pretending to be another user, or pretending to be Neostaff.
6. Cheating is bad.As with scamming, we will freeze any (and all) accounts of someone attempting to cheat.
7. Don't spam. We think spamming is as annoying as you do; so please don't do it.
8. Help us keep the site safe! If you see a situation that concerns you, let us know! Fill out a quick form at our Contact Us page and we'll be happy to investigate it for you. We may not reply back, but we do look into each and every report submitted. But please, only submit one per situation.
The Spirit of the Rules? Be respectful and have fun!
There are several ways a Neopets Monitor may take action against someone who breaks the site rules. They are:
- Friendly Reminder - A message sent via Neomail reminding a player of the rules; not logged in the player's account records
- Warning - An official warning message sent via Neomail informing the player of the rule that was broken; logged in the player's account records and considered when deciding future actions
- Temporary Silence - An official warning message along with a temporary ban from using site communications; logged in the player's account records and considered when deciding future actions
- Permanent Silence - An official warning message along with a permanent ban from using site communications; logged in the player's account records and considered when deciding future actions
- Suspension - A temporary ban that locks the account so that it can't log in to play Neopets for a period of time; logged in the player's account records and considered when deciding future actions
- Freeze - A permanent ban (except for when done for user's own protection) that locks the account so that it can no longer be used to play Neopets
Keep in mind that these actions don't necessarily happen in a set order! For example, anyone attempting to scam another player or posting inappropriate imagery is immediately frozen without a warning since these are very serious offences. Other infractions may mild on their own, but past history — such as a player ignoring several warnings for the same infraction — may result in a frozen account.
In general, if you get a warning for something small, don't sweat it! Everyone makes mistakes. Just be sure to read it thoroughly and understand what went wrong so you can be sure not to do it again.