Lefty's Food Club Bets
Welcome to Lefty's Food Club Bets! I've been playing Food Club for close to five years and it's my favorite game on Neopets. I am a regular in the friendly competition hosted on the FC chat thread in the Games forum.
The simplest way to describe Food Club is that it is like betting on a horse race, except you're betting on which pirates will win the daily eating contest. It is a gambling game and there is some risk involved. I strongly advise that you not bet more than you are prepared to lose. You will win some days, and you will lose some days.
For players just starting out and want to make their own bets, I recommend reading Revenge's Guide and Sir Hatter's Guide for more information about the game and suggested betting strategies. Links to both of them are in my sidebar.
Saturday, April 18, 2015 (Pending)
Important: The gates close between 1:45 pm - 2:15 pm NST. Results are available when the gates reopen at 2:15 pm NST. Update: Since Jan. 27, results have been processing late at 2:31 pm NST!
Glad I went ahead and bet. Got 16:10 for round 5826.
5826 - 16:10
April Total - 256:170
Screenies of winnings
My Betting Style
Strictly speaking, I don't follow a system; however, I do have guidelines which I follow.
1. As a general rule, I like to take some risk because it is: (a) more fun and interesting to do so in my opinion; and (b) more profitable over time. However, I don't get too crazy, and most of the time I incorporate safeties in my betting.
2. My favorite type of card is when there is at least one arena with a clearly favored pirate (meaning there is a 2:1 pirate and the other pirates are 5:1 or greater). It's better still when at least two of the pirates are long shots (at 10:1 to 13:1). The more arenas like this on a given day the better.
3. Whenever possible I try to incorporate bets on pirates that have a positive Estimated Value (EV).
4. I avoid making bets that are less then 10:1 (breaking even), unless there's a good chance of a cascade. Then they add up, which is good.
5. While I do pay attention to Food Adjustments, I believe that the opening odds are the best indicators of outcome.
Apr 2014 Gambit