Aloha animalislands, and welcome to Alaia, a review site run by, yours truly, Florelle. Alaia is pronounced ahl-lay-ah and It's a type of surfboard made entirely of wood. It's around six feet in length and is used by Hawaiian commoners to surf. At Alaia, we provide helpful, in-depth reviews to help improve the sites you create on Neopets for other Neopians. We offer more than just the typical review site - with more than 3 review formats to choose from!
- Taryn has switched to another rubric (The Malibu), so I'll be done with her review sometime today. Reviews will be completed quicker because it is the weekend and I have more time.
- Alli at Juniper is now an affiliate of Alaia!
- Stork at Sparkle Wire has requested a review so now reviews are closed until I finish all the reviews on the waiting list.
- Accepted another affiliate request from Cookies at Sample Reviews!
- I will not be able to review the sites in the waiting list until the questions I've asked are answered.
- I've accepted one affiliate request from Eve at her upcoming site, Infinite!
- Long live our heroes and we will always remember those who helped people in the twin towers that day.
- +1 Request from Lee @ Viridian
- Normally I would close reviews since I've received three requests, but since I can't contact Interl about the invalid rubric choice, I am putting that on hold so I only have two reviews to complete until Interl gets back to me on that.
- Also know guys, that copy and pasting rubrics other site owners made and putting it on your own site is considered STEALING and can be reported for doing so.
- Interl hasn't answered my question so I'll have to move on to Taryn's review before Interl's since Interl had requested an invalid rubric and I can't contact Interl.
- Finished the Frequent Flyer 'Review You' Challenge!
- Received a lovely gift button from Taryn at Affinity. I appreciate you creating this for me, Taryn. It is an honor for you to create this lovely gift button. Thank you! :)
- + 1 Request from Taryn @ Affinity
- I am going to be working on a bunch of new extras for Alaia as well as extending the story on the home page to all of the pages.
- Alaia is now recommended at Soroptimist Directory. Thank you SO much Cass! This is a HUGE honor for Alaia and I appreciate it a lot.
- Affiliated with Cafe au Lait
- +1 Request from Interl @ The Magic Of Disney
- Alaia is now listed at The Secret Library
- Requests are still OPEN so feel free to request a review. :)
- Finished Madame's review
- Recoded the Customers section so it has more than one page showing the reviews completed
- +1 Request from Madame @ Neostars Magazine.
- Advertised Alaia in Soroptimist's Sitely News and EHG Press.
- I have two new affiliates- Allusion and Euphonious.
- Advertised Alaia in Soroptimist's Sitely News and EHG Press.
- Accepted Shenyi as an affiliate.
- Requested a review from Sitely Service
- Finished Sarah's review and now all three request spots are avaliable!
- +1 Request from Sarah @ Blank Canvas Magazine
- I became affiliates with Adzs's new review site, The Marchen, and also requested a review from her.
- I also became affiliates with Kraken of the Sea.
- I have two more open spots for anyone who would like to request a review. Reviews are quite fast at the moment, but will be slower when school starts tomorrow since I will be getting home later and receiving more homework than ever. I will indeed still have plently of time for reviewing, but of course, It will take longer to complete each review.
- Got a fresh new look for Alaia and decided to start over.
- Requests are OPEN. I am only allowing 3 requests at a time before I close them again.
- Received a huge amount of new link back buttons and removed a few old ones.
- Sadly, I lost a huge amount of affiliates that closed their site such as Effloresce, Collegiate, The Rice Hut, Boat, and Critique.
Only sites on Neopets can be reviewed since we'd have way too many requests if we do. We wouldn't have enough surfboards for everyone either!
Please link back to Alaia before, after, and during your review otherwise you will be removed from the waiting list.
I do not review about me pages, shops, galleries, guilds, guides, and applications. I will only review Neopets sites that you have created.
Be sure to answer all parts of the request form. Do not assume I know your name. If you didn't read the rules, put Reflection somewhere in the form.
If you have made significant changes to your site, you may apply for a re-review.
If I do not confirm your request for a review within three days, check the waiting list. If you are NOT there, neomail me again with the form completed.
* Before you request a review, keep in mind that I will review your site in Internet Explorer unless you say otherwise.
Also know that if you find me unclear in any part of your review, don't hesitate to ask questions.
The Longboard: A very in-depth review recommended to sites that are professional and established. It is written in the form of a letter to the owner of the site.
The Malibu: This style is a simple no-score review for those who want something brief.
The Fish: A no-score review that only addresses what needs to be improved in a section.
The Bodyboard: This style is meant to be a starter for newer sites. It will ensure your site has the basics. Your score will be determined from the six key points.
The Funboard: A no-score review that is basically like an interview. Ask me 5-20 questions about your site and I'll answer them as in-depth as possible. Try and avoid yes/no questions like 'Does my layout look good?'. A few are okay, but don't over-do it. Look at this section for examples.
First Impression (?/15)
First Impressions are definitely one of the most important sections in a review. When I come to look at your site, I will say my first thoughts when I first see your site. Are there certain things that get my attention that inclines me to stay? Are there certain parts that make me want to leave? Do I know immediately what your site is called?
Is your introduction original? Do I know what your site provides? Does the introduction catch my attention? Do I know who wrote/hosts the site?
Have I seen your layout on anyone else's site? Is your layout unique? What do I feel when I am looking at your layout? Is it a premade layout? Does it fit the theme of your site?
Do you have a decent amount of content for the time you have been open? Is it helpful or useful? Is your content easy to understand?
Organization & Presentation (?/10)
Is your site easy to navigate? Is your site tidy or messy? Can I find everything easily? Have you presented everything in your site well? Is the text in your site lined up appropiately? Can I read the text easily? Do I have any problems seeing anything?
Grammar & Spelling (?/10)
How often have you misspelled a word or haven't used proper grammar? Is everything on your site spelled correctly?
Please know that I will take into consideration how old or new your site is.
Did you make an effort to find high-quality affiliates? Have you been listed at a decent amount of directories? Are your link-backs enjoyable to look at? Are they high-quality and eye-catching?
If I feel you have made a huge effort to create and run your site, I will give you a portion or all of the bonus points. It is also awarded for well-made/fantastic sections.
Overall Score - ?/100
Final Comments -
I will say any final comments I have about your site and sum up the main topics of the areas you need to improve on. If comments I have don't fall into the categories above, I will also write them here.
Your review will be in this form. As well as giving positive comments, I will be very critical. If you choose The Longboard review, I will not hold back any comments I have. The criteria is below:
First Impression (?/5) -
Introduction (?/5) -
Layout (?/15) -
(Please do not request this style yet.)
Here I will state all the positive comments and things I liked about your site.
Negative comments and suggestions
Everything that I disliked or thought needing some improving will be listed here. Suggestions on how to make your site even better I'll also go here.
Anything that does not fall into the two categories above, I will state here. I will also give you an overall statement on how I liked your site or whatever needed improvement.
Section being reviewed
In each section you would like me to review, I will state what needs to be improved and why it needs to be improved. If there are any problems, I will provide suggestions on how you can fix the problem. The Fish will not review what in your site that you've done well. Anything unaddressed in the review, you may assume does not need fixing.
If you choose The Bodyboard review, I will screenie the homepage of your website and comment on what you have done well and what you should change. You may click and drag the screenie of your site to view it in full size.
Appeal (10 points)
Colour Scheme (5 points)
Creativity (10 points)
Layout (10 points)
Organisation (10 points)
Grammar & Spelling (5 points)
Your score will be out of 50. The Bodyboard perfect scorers will not be able to get an icon award, but will be featured/advertised on Alaia for three days.
How could my layout be improved?
Should I add any textures or remove textures in my banner?
Are there any gramatical errors in my site?
About how many affiliates should I have max.?
The Funboard review may or may not focus on a certain area of your site. It all depends on which questions you ask. If your site is new and you request the Funboard review style, you won't be improving as much as if you request the Thruster, Bodyboard, or Malibu review rubric.
The Alaia - COMING SOON
Credentials - COMING SOON
About Florelle - COMING SOON!
Zoe's Life - COMING SOON
A Guide To Reviewing - COMING SOON
Look no further for high-quality and in-depth reviews. Valerie, the talented hostess of Green Jasper, serves fabulous reviews. Green Jasper has a gorgeous layout and extremely healthy saplings. Why not check her site out today?
Content by Florelle
Layout/Coding/Design by Nicole at Seraphic
Award(70-79) and textarea background from 49 Days
Awards (80-89, 90-99, and perfect score) by The Lunch Box
Bullets by Monky at Bedazzled
Envelope from Foomanshu
Reviews are open/closed sign by The Lunch Box
Back arrow/pixel by Flamboyance
Did I miss putting you in the credits by accident? Please neomail me right away.
2. Taryn @ Affinity
3. Lee @ Viridian
4. Stork @ Sparkle Wire
Please label all forms 'Review Request'
Please bear in mind that your rank may change if someone in that category gets a higher score than you. If this happens, be sure to change the rank number wherever you wrote it in your site.
- Alaia's layout works in all browsers, which I find very convienent for all visitors since I won't have to lead them to a seperate link for them to view the layout properly. It is also quite a pain to have to get another browser in order to view that layout properly.
- Alaia has a decent amount of original rubrics suited for
different purposes. If you want something semi-brief but
with detail, The Funboard is recommended. The Funboard is like
an interview where you ask me different questions and I answer
them as in-depth as possible. If you have a new site and want
something short, The Bodyboard is for you. That style is meant
to be a starter for newer sites. It will ensure your site
has the basics. Your score will be determined from the six
key points which are:
- I feel that I review quite quickly as I finish extremely in-depth reviews in less than two days. Though I cover mainly the entire site, I write each review with great detail and many suggestions to help other sites improve their quality and know what they have done well.
- The request section of Alaia takes up too little space. I know that you don't want too much stuff in one space but you definitely don't want too little. That part of the content isn't as organized, which is something I must work on - making it more organized in that certain section. I find it not as organized because I have centered lots of text and it looks quite messy.
- While reviewing, I can be unsure of how many points I deduct. I don't want to deduct too many points because it is unfair to the reviewee. When I was still an unexperienced reviewer (few months ago), I once deducted 1 point for 1 grammar mistake. Now as a much better reviewer, I know that I shouldn't have. Though in some categories, I tend to question myself if I am deducting or giving the right amount of points.
- In the story of Alaia, on the sitely section, I write as the character 'Zoe'. I didn't introduce who she is which leaves the visitor wondering who is Zoe and what does she look like? I should explain somewhere in the pages of Alaia who Zoe is. Is Zoe the girl that showed you the papers? Because I didn't explain that, it leaves the visitor with questions.
NEOPETS, characters, logos, names and all related indicia
are trademarks of Neopets, Inc., © 1999-2013.
® denotes Reg. US Pat. & TM Office. All rights reserved.
Use of this site signifies your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions