Covert is a literate, mature, 16+ guild with a unique Neo-Related theme. Our guild is currently 3 and a half years old with over 60,000 messages and with a typical member count of 50-60 members at any given time (though we sit on 39 currently). We offer a wide range of activities, games and events to our members, including games and challenges, plots and member-hosted pages. As a secret society, we keep most of our workings under wraps, but for the none-members; you can read about us here (typically you would reach the aforementioned page after solving the puzzle here).
Before we go any further, it is important that you are hoping to apply for a co-owner spot for the right reasons. We are aware that some people like the idea of owning because it gives them "power". However, this is not what we are looking for. Co-owning in Covert means spending time and effort to update and run things for the members to enjoy. That is not to say that it is all work and no play - if you enjoy creating and want to find a place where you can put your ideas to good use, or if you enjoy seeing others take part in what you have helped to create, or even if you are a natural born leader, you will find being a co-owner at Covert both rewarding and fulfilling. So, if you were hoping for a co-owner position where you can just sit and look pretty, then you are most certainly in the wrong place.
We are going to be careful in our search to help ensure that we select the most appropriate two people for the job.
What we expect from youThough it is important that the running of Covert is done with diligence, it is not time-consuming or mundane. Being able to share the workload with your other council members means that you will never get bogged down in updates. The Covert Council works as a team, and we rely on each other to put just as much work in so that no single leader feels overworked.
The general running of the guild requires an average of 45 minutes a day (but takes less as you get used to it). If we work cohesively as a team (which I have no doubts we will), and everyone maintains their responsibilities, there are often days when you won't have to do any updating at all.
No one can be on neopets every day; but, because of the shared workload, this will never be a problem. If you see that there are more submissions than you can manage during your updating time - don't be daunted! Do as many as you can, and leave the rest for the following day.
The only really busy time for the council of Covert is at the end of the month. This is the time when all the pages get a double check for any missing updates/submissions, the MOTM is selected and announced, points are reset, the calender for the next month is announced, the newest edition of the magazine is released, and trophies are awarded to the winning branch (team). One single council member does not have to do all of these chores. Again, depending on our different skills/interests, these chores are shared between us all. And, to be honest, if having a larger workload once a month is too much of an ask - then you might need to rethink your desires to be a leader.
Leader Job ListTo make it clear what your role could involve, a list has been compiled of the jobs that need filling. These need to be split between the two new leaders, and Bethany (not).
1. You will be responsible for updating the monthly team challenge at the beginning of every new month with a new challenge (planning in advance is best!)
2. You will be responsible for processing the member submissions (putting submissions on the website, and adding points to winning teams/ members at the end of the month).
Other than the planning of the challenges, the upkeep of the monthly team challenge is low.
Leader Job List Cont..
As the leader responsible for the monthly games, you will be welcome to add/ change the monthly games as you see fit as long as we have at least three monthly games running each month.
1. You will be responsible for updating the monthly games at the beginning of every month with a new challenge specific.
2. You will be responsible for processing member submissions (putting submissions on the website, adding points to the members score and the team score).
Less games to keep track of, and easy to update.
Area 1: gaming area. Flash games/ BTY/ Key Quest etc. One game is active each week, rotating between the 4 pre-set games.
Area 2: creative area. writing/ drawing/ graphics. One game is active each week, rotating between the 4 pre-set games.
Area 3: community games. generic games: word scramble/ member hunt etc. Three games are always active each week, the fourth game is active on alternate weeks.
Kadoatery: Runs indefinitely.
This means there are 5 games active at any one time, 6 on alternating weeks, and the Kadoatery. This keeps the games interesting and fun for members, without burning out the leader responsible for the games. We typically write up the games in advance and due to the alternating schedule we are sorted well in advance.
1. You will be responsible for updating the games each week including highlighting which game is the active game.
2. You will be responsible for ensuring we have planned games in advance.
3. You will be responsible for processing member submissions to the games (putting submissions on the website where required, adding points to the members score and the team score).
Workload: Moderate - high. A larger amount of games to keep track of made easier to manage by the rotating game roster.
We need this to be kept track of so that the member directory is an accurate depiction of our current members.
1. You will be responsible for noting if a new member is missed from the directory, and when members leave so they can be removed.
2. You will be responsible for noting when members hit the specific targets for awards so they can be added to the members directory.
3. You will be responsible for noting broken links to member profile pages/ encouraging members to make use of their profile pages.
Workload: easy - low
This workload can be split between three people (one leader responsible for each guild team) which would make the workload very low. Checking once a week is enough. One member can be the clerk for the whole guild with low workload as once a week is still enough, but more time would be needed to check all members.
1. Approving members submitted ideas for their own hosted pages.
2. Linking the member hosted pages so other members can access them.
3. Once a week checking that the clubs are not sitting inactive or removed.
4. Choosing a club of the month at the end of each month based on most well-run/ creative idea etc. and writing a short blurb to announce this choice.
Workload: low - moderate
Depending on how you approach this role, your workload can be low to moderate. If you just focus on updating the links and approving member pages, you'll have a low workload. If you chose to run promotions to advertise the clubs/ offering custom graphics for the clubs etc. then your workload will be higher. This would be an optional choice if you decided to take the clubs to a higher level.
We also have additional pages that can be run by co-owners or members of the guild (taken as guild jobs):
Quick news will be on the guild front, but we need at least a weekly new release on a webbie page for more in-depth info.
(currently run by Lulu) List members who have pets up for adoption.
List members who can lend avatars.
Host the graphics page of member-submitted graphics/ fonts.
Design and host your own event.
As a co-owner of Covert, you are free to design your own ideas and concepts to add to the Covert guild ;D
How to ApplyIf you are literate, 16+ and dedicated, then we want to hear from you!
Tell us about yourself (incl. name and age)
The roles you are interested in as listed on this page
Tell us why you are interested in being a co-owner
Tell us what you can bring to the table
We want as much information about you as possible to see whether you'll be a good fit within the guild. You do not have to have graphic ability but you must be able to edit pages without destroying coding.