If you've ever encountered a faerie quest then you know that they can be difficult to do. The shop wizard is out of your reach and the shops you find from the marketplace either don't carry that particular item or have priced it appallingly. The trades and auctions can help but that takes time and you were probably in the middle of pricing your shop and need to get back the access to the shop wizard.
And then you remember that among the NeoBoards there was one labeled Quests and its description promises "kind folks who are willing to lend a hand". If you've never been there before it might do some good to read what I've written here because it can prove to be useful.
- The FUNCTION of the quest board is to provide help to those doing the various quests. Mostly it deals with uber-faerie quests but you can also get suggestions on how to do others. You may also find shop ads from the quest board but these are usually the shops that are really overpriced so you're better off just asking for help. Also, if you're one of the people posting shop ads then be warned - the Questies (people who regularly help on the quest board) can be fanatical about sticking to the chat rules, especially the one about only posting relevant content.
- The UTILISATION of the quest board is fairly easy. You just have to make a post stating what you need help with and hopefully someone will post the results from the shop wizard. If you don't understand how to get to the shops listed click here. If you do, then keep reading because some interesting tips about your post are to follow.
* When posting a request for help it helps to name the item you need in the title of your topic. That's especially handy when the boards are slow. That way the Questies can click on your post to open it and already start searching for the item in the other -blocked- It also helps to make the title more interesting because that draws a lot more attention from helpers. But don't post too many smilies, especially the new animated ones, since they tend to get annoying pretty fast.
* Avoid headings like 'Pllleeeeaaaassseee' or 'Heeeeeelllllpppp' since these make you look like a beggar and you might not get answered.
* Remember basic spelling and grammar. I'm not a native English speaker so if I can formulate a legible sentence then you can too. Also, I must warn you that many of my friends from the quest board can't stand chat speak - especially when it has turned out to be virtually illegible.
* Don't offer reward in your post when you have no intention of giving it. Most of the Questies are not in it for neopoints or items but it's still rude to dangle the bait.
* I wouldn't suggest asking people to neomail you the answers because they hardly ever do. It's a lot easier and faster to just post the search results and time can be the deciding factor when a lot of people need help. It's not that difficult to return to the quest board for answers. If you're leaving your computer at the moment then just don't post your request for help. You can do that whenever you're back - there are always some Questies online and ready to help.
- I WILL HELP YOU boards are becoming more common. There is nothing wrong with offering your help like this but I hardly ever use them when I need my quest items looked up. The reason is simple: the ethics of the quest board. Other people don't usually post their search results one someone's "I'll help you" board. And that means you only get one person's search results. If you're wondering what's wrong with that then check out the operation of the shop wizard. It's highly unlikely that one person can deliver the cheapest result every time. If they can then they're probably using some kind of program and are soon frozen for it. So I would suggest to always create your own board.
- GIFTS and 'Thank you' notes for help are most welcome. As mentioned before - most quest helpers are not in it for the profit but that doesn't mean they don't want to be appreciated. Just don't send them a pile of dung or some snail subs (unless you know they're dung/junk collectors) because that might seem like an insult. A well-worded Thank you can be a lot better than hordes of gifts.
- BEGGING for items is discouraged on the quest board. It might work on Newbie or Help boards but the Questies are usually pretty brutal when you try to get items without paying for them. Most quest items are fairly cheap so that even if you have no NP just a few games of Meerca Chase or Extreme Potato Counter should help you get the item. And many Questies might give you the item for free anyway, unless of course you're already known as a beggar.
- SPAMMING the quest board with shop ads or quest requests or offers of help is discouraged and definitely against the chat rules. Don't do it or you might get a stern warning from both the Questies and the Neopets Team.
- UTILISATION of the shop wizard is fairly easy. You type in the name (or part of the name) of the item and the wizard searches the cheapest results from every section. For better results refresh the page a couple of times. If you get different items after refreshing then you haven't narrowed down the item name enough. For example: typing 'air faerie' gets you at least 9 different items (I got tired of refreshing so there may be more). Now, if you need the bottled air faerie then all you have to do is write that to the wizard search box, choose 'identical to my phrase' instead of the default 'containing my phrase' and click 'Search shops'. Remember to refresh a few times and you should have the best results.
- The shop wizard consists of DIFFERENT AREAS i.e. the shops are arranged according to the first letter/number of the shop owner's name. The cheapest results can usually be found among the C,K,3 or the D,T,4 sections. R,J,Z can also have bargains. The sections don't show up in any kind of order, though, so sometimes you have to refresh for a long time until you get to the cheapest item. That's also the main reason why it's good to have as many helpers as possible on the quest board. The bigger number of Questies also means more varied results and increases the chances of truly getting the cheapest item.
- If you've been wondering HOW TO GET TO THE ITEMS LISTED as answers then wonder no more because I'm about to explain that. First you copy the shop owner's name (that's the word before the item name) to the search box (the box in the lower left corner of your screen) and press 'Go!' You will end up at the person's user lookup. From there click on the numbers denoting shop size and you are in their shop. And then there's nothing to do but buy the item you need.
It might happen that the item is so cheap that it has already been bought by the time you get to the shop. No worries! Most Questies list two or three shops that sell the item so all you need to do is go back to your post and repeat the process with the next name. If you also need help getting the item to the faerie then click here.
TYPES OF QUESTS
There are many types of quests to choose from on Neopets which can broadly be divided into two categories: uber-faerie and other. And now, pay attention because this is important! Uber-faerie quests are the only ones that disable shop wizard! That's right! When doing any of the other quests (that are all timed quests) you can ALWAYS use the shop wizard. So there's no need to go to the quest board asking for help with those.
And now let's get to the individual uber-faerie quests:
The timed quests are a bit different. As mentioned before they allow you to use the shop wizard. And another thing they have in common - they're hardly ever worth doing! I wouldn't spend more than 2000-3000 NP one each of the following since the rewards are never very good.