Advice on Korbats Lab
Last month, the lowest Top 50 score was:
Plan on scoring higher than this---you don't want to be knocked off.
Before you do anything, type spiderbite
to gain an extra life. You can use this once per game at any time.
will allow you to skip
any level. This can be used as many times as you like
, so use it very
freely. Skipping levels is the key to scoring enough points for the avatar---otherwise, you would have to face levels that frankly are not worth risking your lives. There are 50
levels, and you can earn well over the avatar score by playing only some of these, so don't worry about running out of levels.
Examples of levels you should skip:
- Levels with two Korbats. Korbats have a nasty habit of flying too low and sending your ball into a completely different direction when you don't have enough time to respond. Avoid a level with two of them; it's not worth the risk.
- Levels with one Korbat. Personally I like to skip these, and I was able to score 6000+ without any one-Korbat levels. It depends how easily you can deal with them, but I would just skip.
- Levels with only bomb/fire blocks, or almost completely bomb and fire blocks. Bomb and fire blocks do not earn you any points whatsoever so they are not worth the risk.
- Levels with silver blocks close to the bottom of the screen. Even if there aren't any critters in some of these, you need very good reflexes to keep from losing a life, with the ceiling so close. See how well you do with these, but for me it's not worth the risk.
- Levels with not many blocks, especially ones that are hard to get at. It's just not worth your time, or the risk.
- Also: if you've almost finished a level except for one last block, and you're spending a lot of time/taking a lot of risk to reach that last block...just skip. There's no bonus for completing a level, and each block is only ten points.
The first three levels are always the same. Level 1 and Level 3 are fine. Level 2, however...
If you have been paying attention, you'll see that it's a level you should skip: two Korbats, and not even enough blocks to be worth the risk. So always skip it. Don't even bother.
Playing The Game
Become familiar with the falling objects:
(I'm too lazy to collect a list myself)
Please also read that guide for things I am too lazy to explain.
Advice on gameplay:
- Bouncing the ball at small angles (nearly vertical lines) is safer than bouncing the ball at wide angles (diagonal lines). If you find yourself sending it in wide angles that are hard to keep up with, try to get it back to a small angle. This applies especially to levels with critters.
- If you lose a life before you've earned 800 points, start over. You'll need those.
- The "release 3 extra balls" potion is your friend; however, when there are only two balls left, you need to mentally choose one of them to be your new permanent ball, and ignore the other one until it falls offscreen. I've lost many lives by foolishly trying to save both of them at the same time.
- Do try to collect the coins (you probably won't see the 500 point gold one, but the silver gives you a lovely 50 points). But keep your eyes on the ball as you do so. You need to develop a kind of double vision for this. Practice will help. And don't be afraid to miss a coin---I know the coins are shiny, but your ball is more important.
- The rocket potions are risky---that rocket is very distracting and has lost me a lot of lives. And they're not too helpful either. It depends on your experience of the game, but I've started to simply avoid them.
There are 50 levels total
Skip as many as you like