Lefty's Food Club Bets
Welcome to Lefty's Food Club Bets! I've been playing Food Club for three years and it's my favorite game on Neopets. Each day I post my bets here. You are welcome to copy mine if you wish, or you might want to follow one of the other betting pages in the links section. Copying another player's bets is a great way to learn how to make your own bets. Be sure to take a look at Revenge's Guide for more information about the game and suggested betting strategies.
March 11 - Round 5443 (Pending)
Important: Daylight Savings Time began on March 9. The shift to DST usually results in a change to Food Club times. If previous years are an indication, today's match should be at 2 pm NST. The gates will be closed between 1:45 pm - 2:15 pm NST, with results available at 2:15 pm NST.
NOTE: The timing did not change as expected on Sunday or Monday. The matches took place at 1:00 pm on both days. To play it safe, I recommend getting your bets in BEFORE 1:00 pm NST today. Hopefully the timing glitch will be sorted out soon.
5442 - 14:10
March Cumulative Total - 276:100
My Betting Style
Strictly speaking, I don't follow a system; however, I do have guidelines which I follow.
1. As a general rule, I like to take some risk because it is: (a) more fun and interesting to do so in my opinion; and (b) more profitable over time. I would describe my betting style as moderately risky. Having said that, I don't get too crazy, and I always incorporate safeties in my betting.
2. My favorite type of card is when there is at least one arena with a clearly favored pirate (meaning there is a 2:1 pirate and the other pirates are 5:1 or greater). It's better still when at least two of the pirates are long shots (at 10:1 to 13:1). The more arenas like this on a given day the better.
3. Whenever possible I try to incorporate bets on pirates that have a positive Estimated Value (EV).
4. I avoid making bets that are less then 10:1 (breaking even), unless there's a good chance of a cascade. Then they add up, which is good.
5. Most of the time I ignore Food Adjustments since I assume that they are already reflected in the odds. The exception to this is when there is a pirate with a +4 FA or higher. In that case I tend to place a little more value on the likely outcome of such pirates.