50 Reasons To Write For The Times
Oh dear, oh me, oh my! Fifty Neopian Times issues have passed yet again and the battle for the coveted avatar is on. It’s time to slap on that thinking cap and get writing. *rubs my grubby hands together* Time to get my hand on that sweet, sweet box of pixels. It is no wonder why Neopians are rushing to get in entries and banging out amazing stories left and right, but what about writing for the rest of the year? What is the true motivation for Neopians to consistently write year round? Well, my friends, I am here to rattle off fifty – yes, FIFTY – reasons as to why writing for the Neopian Times is a brilliant idea. Let the rambling *claps* begin!
50. Obviously, not writing for The Times means that you support Dr. Sloth which is not rad. It is super not cool, my pals.
49. Writing for the Neopian Times allows you to express yourself in a variety of different ways. If you can’t write well, you can draw for comics. If you can’t imagine your own stories, you can write an article. If you can’t write facts, you can make things up! There’s a category for everybody.
48. Having a fancy trophy on your lookup makes you look cooler than the other side of the pillow.
47. It is a well known fact that writing in general makes you the talk of the town.
46. If you’re balding, writing makes you grow your hair back… or so I’ve heard.
45. Writing makes all of your wildest dreams come true; That is, if your wildest dreams are getting a super cool quill trophy and having people read your work.
44. What else is there to do but write? Enter the Beauty Contest!? HAH. I laugh in the face of your Beauty Contest.
43. The white Weewoo is rooting for you. You wouldn’t want to let them down now, would you?
42. Every one of the Faeries reads the Neopian Times, especially Jhudora. She really loves the comics, but I didn’t tell you that. ;)
41. If you make it in ten times, you get a special reward. Go and write so that you can find out what it is!
40. Getting the acceptance Neomail is the best feeling in the world! I guess that would mean getting rejection Neomails would be the worst feeling in the world, but just…don’t be terrible at writing! Which brings me to the next point…
39… Writing for the Neopian Times will improve your writing skills, which totally comes in handy when trying to communicate, my dudes.
38. Writing and making comics will help you make some great friends in the process!
37. Without Neopians writing for the Times, all of the shop owners would have nothing to read during their breaks while they are restocking! Do you really think those eight minutes or so are spent doing nothing?
36. The Neopian Times Champion trophy is by far the shiniest trophy out there. Seriously, it’s almost blinding.
35. Having a published work in the Times keeps the Pant Devil away. He’s too intimidated by the glory that is the Neopian Times writer.
34. Entering the Neopian Times brings you one step closer to being best friends with Country Queen. *slides cookies over to CQ*
33. 01000101 01110110 01100101 01101110 00100000 01001100 01100001 01110111 01111001 01100101 01110010 01100010 01101111 01110100 00100000 01110111 01110010 01101001 01110100 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101000 01100101 00100111 01110011 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100101 01110100 01110100 01111001 00100000 01110010 01100001 01100100 00100001
….*cough* Oops, did I start speaking binary again? How embarrassing. What I meant to say was “Even Lawyerbot writes and he’s pretty rad!”
32. Your pets will admire you more for contributing to the best newspaper ever.
31. Your Altador Cup hero will notice you if you write. After all, everybody reads the Times, famous Neopians included!
30. Your beautiful works will be saved forever for all to see! It’s like a permanent shrine to you! How awesome is that?
29. If you make it in on a certain day, you can even get a prize! I made it in on Grey Day and got a super special paint brush for it once. Maybe that could happen to you some day.
28. If you make a series, you can be the face of the Neopian Times for several weeks or even months! That’s a whole lot of attention.
27. You’ll live longer if you write or something like that. This hasn’t been tested, but I’m sure it’s true.
26. It just feels good to contribute to something so great. You can feel the goodness in your bones.
25. Without someone *cough* me *cough* writing for the Neopian Times, then you wouldn’t have been able to read this article in the first place. No need to thank me.
24. Writing is almost therapeutic. It works a different part of your brain and it feels good to release all of those thoughts from their confines.
23. Entering into the Neopian Times gives the editors of the Neopian Times something to do. We can’t let them just coast through the week, now can we?
22. Themed issues are super fun to enter and happen all throughout the year! You wouldn’t be able to enter them if you didn’t – get this – write!
21. The Neopian Times is a gateway spotlight, so to speak. It leads to writing for the poetry contest or even the storytelling competition, which are both super amazing!
20. You can even do collaborative works and both you and your friend can reap the rewards of writing! It’s like petting two Weewoos with one hand! That’s the saying, right?
19. Queen Fyora loves to read series, and if nobody writes them for the Neopian Times, then she has nothing to read! I wouldn’t doubt it that she has read every book in Neopia at this point. She needs something to keep her on her toes.
18. Every single week there is a chance to write for the Times! That means that even if you don’t make it in one week, there is always the next, unlike the Beauty Contest where if you win the gold, you can’t enter your pet for FOUR WHOLE MONTHS! How bonkers is that!?
17. Not to toot my own horn, but if I hadn’t have practiced my writing by entering works into the Neopian Times, then I probably wouldn’t have even made it this far into this list. I, for one, think that’s a feat to admire.
16. Need I remind you that anybody that doesn’t write for the Neopian Times supports Dr. Sloth? Need I also remind you that that is so not cool? Which one do you want to be: a Dr. Sloth supporter or super cool? I’ll wait…
15. You can write everywhere! If you get an idea for a series while diving the depths of deep Maraqua, then you can by all means start it right there. You don’t have to be in Neopia Central at all.
14. Your impeccable vocabulary will become profound and astonishing as you continue to write more and more.
13. With great writing come great reading skills. The more you write, the faster you can read which makes learning much faster as well. The kids love to learn still, right?
12. In the realm of series making: It is so exhilarating to create your own characters. You can manifest yourself in the characters or make them similar to whomever you’d like.
11. Remember a few years ago when Krawk Island was sunk? Many Neopians believe that it was because of the Krawken but the truth is that it was sunk because not enough Neopians were writing. Who told me this? I have my sources.
10. Your friends and pets will be so amazed by your writing skills that they will treat you like royalty, even if you’ve never used a Royal Paint Brush.
9. Speaking of royalty, by writing you’ll be increasing your knowledge which brings you one step closer to being as wise as King Hagan.
8. It costs nothing to write. No need to break out your Neopoints and Neocash today. You can scribble down as many words as you’d like without having to spend a cent! How neat is that?
7. Have some deep, thought provoking ideas that you need to share with all of Neopia? No problem! Just write for the Neopian Times. After 43 reasons, are you finally sensing a pattern?
6. Writing is for all ages. Whether you were born in Y1 or Y16, you are still able to write something, even if it is just a short story.
We’re down to the final five. Let’s make ‘em count, boys.
5. Writing can really make a difference. Whether you’re sharing some information that you have hidden in the depths of your mind or you’re sharing a funny joke through comics, your writing can improve someone’s day.
4. Even if you don’t like to learn, you really do learn from writing. You learn about yourself, others, the world around you, and even little tidbits that nobody would ever go out of their way to learn.
3. Getting random compliments on your writing after you get published into the NT is such a surreal feeling. Suddenly you receive a Neomail with the words “oh my goodness! Your article this week was so great! I loved it so much please write more” and your day – no, your week – is made.
2. Write because you want to create something that nobody else has. Yes, there are tons and tons of fantasy stories and mysteries, and you like a lot of them, but there may not be one that you particularly love. That is your mission. Write to create the perfect story for yourself and others.
And finally, what you’ve been waiting for. The number one reason to write for the Neopian Times throughout the whole year:
1. Without Neopians submitting to the Neopian Times, we wouldn’t have 750 issues of the Neopian Times in the first place. Sure, this sounds like a very basic reason, but it’s true. So many articles wouldn’t have been published. So many comics wouldn’t have been shown to the entire world that make you utter one tiny giggle. Without us writing, without you writing, we wouldn’t have any of this.
So there you have it folks. I promised you fifty reasons, and I delivered fifty reasons. I’ll take my trophy and be on my way now.
What are you still doing here? Get out there and write!