Book Reviews and Recommendations: Faerie Edition
My Kau, Prettyful_me, and I absolutely LOVE reading, so we spend a lot of time reading all kinds of books together. Over the years, we have read a LOT of books, so she and I decided to start reviewing them. This time we came up with a list of recommendations just in time for the Faerie Festival! There are lots of books out there about the faeries. Prettyful_me and I have put together a list of our favorites (and not-so-favorites) so you can learn about all of Neopia's wonderful faeries and have a great time at the Faerie Festival!
There are countless books out there about faeries. If you are new to faeries, there are many books you could read to find out all about them. But don't be overwhelmed by the sheer number of books out there. Let us help you! Here are some of our recommendations:
1) All About Air Faeries: This is the first book in a six volume series all about the different types of faeries. Some of them are a bit pricey, so Prettyful_me and I have only read all about Light, Air, and Water faeries, but we both think the rest of the series will be just as informative. These books are information dense while remaining interesting and engaging. Prettyful_me and I give these books 4 out of 5 bookmarks.
2) My First Faerie: As you might deduce from the title, this book is for a young reader who has yet to encounter a faerie. The book claims to contain everything a young pet needs to know about their first encounter with a faerie. However, Prettyful_me and I felt that it was condescending to the young reader. The tone of the book was very pompous and the content was lacking. We think you would be better off choosing something else to read. Prettyful_me and I give this book 1 out of 5 bookmarks.
3) Faerieland: A History: Faerieland has a fascinating history and this book does an excellent job of describing it. We could not put it down! The book describes Faerieland's origins, the rise of Faerie City, the reign of Queen Fyora, and so much more. Prettyful_me and I give this book 5 out of 5 bookmarks.
So, you already know the faerie basics? Great! There are also some wonderful books about the more well-known faeries. Do you want to learn more about how the Soup Faerie makes so much soup? Why the Snow Faerie needs all those things she asks for? What exactly Jhudora and Illusen hate about each other? There are books that cover all of these topics and more! (Except the Jhudora and Illusen thing. I'm pretty sure no one knows the answer to that. Maybe not even Jhudora and Illusen.) Here are some of our recommendations:
1) The Healing Springs: Every Neopian visits the Healing Springs from time to time, but how much do you know about it? This book is all about the history of the Healing Springs and Nereid, the delightful water faerie who runs it. She does her best to help and heal all who visit her and asks nothing in return. This book is a great tribute to her work and we think everyone should read it. Prettyful_me and I give this book 5 out of 5 bookmarks.
2) Rainbow Fountain Secrets: Have you wondered about the mysteries of the Rainbow Fountain? In this book, the Rainbow Fountain Faerie herself reveals answers to the questions you've always had and the questions you never even thought of. Prettyful_me and I thought this book was very interesting and insightful! We recommend you pick up this book if you have any questions or curiosity about the Rainbow Fountain and the Faerie who works there. Prettyful_me and I give this book 4.5 out of 5 bookmarks.
3) Tooth Faerie Book: This book will answer every question you ever had about the Tooth Faerie. As its description aptly asks, "Who is she? When does she visit? Why does she want teeth?" These are all questions Prettyful_me and I have asked ourselves. And now we have answers to these and many other questions. The Tooth Faerie's story will please, delight, and sometimes surprise you! Prettyful_me and I give this book 4 out of 5 bookmarks.
4) Tooth Faerie Cupcake Recipe: The Tooth Faerie likes her teeth nice, shiny, and cavity-free. So it was not very surprising to me that her cupcake recipe was so terrible. It doesn't use any sugar! Sure, these cupcakes are better for your teeth, but at what cost?! And if you're like me, you might be thinking, "This whole book is just for the one recipe?" Yes. Yes it is. The rest of the book is all justification for the ingredients that are "good for the teeth" and other dental health propaganda! In our opinion, this book is terrible. Not worth the read! Prettyful_me and I give this book 0.5 out of 5 bookmarks.
Finally, some books about a faerie everyone has heard of – Queen Fyora! Founder of the Faerie Festival, ruler of Faerieland, guardian of Neopia. Prettyful_me and I just love her! There are plenty of books out there about her. Here are some of our recommendations:
1) Ruling Faerieland: Perhaps the most well-known faerie is Queen Fyora, the kindhearted ruler of the faeries. Ruling Faerieland claims to offer "fascinating insight into the life of a Faerie Queen." And boy, does it deliver! Through this book, we learned about the everyday life of Queen Fyora as well as her extraordinary days. Prettyful_me and I were amazed at some of Fyora's accomplishments! Prettyful_me and I give this book 5 out of 5 bookmarks.
2) Fyoras Rule: This book covers many important moments throughout Queen Fyora's reign. At times it can be interesting, but for the most part this book is just long, tedious, and dull. It's almost impressive how dull this book makes the events of Fyora's life sound, because Fyora never has a dull moment! Accurate and thorough, but boring. Prettyful_me and I give this book 2 out of 5 bookmarks.
3) A New Day: Prettyful_me and I cannot rave about this book enough. This book details Queen Fyora's life before she was the queen of Faerieland. It includes journal entries from the Queen's personal journal from her pre-inauguration years, providing captivating insight into the thoughts of young Fyora. Prettyful_me and I give this book 5 out of 5 bookmarks.
So, if you have any plans of attending the Faerie Festival or just want to learn more about our beloved faeries, check out some of the books we have recommended. I hope this list comes in handy for you! Prettyful_me and I wish you safe and happy festivities!