Looking for the definitive last word on the rules for all things related to the Altador Cup? Well then, you've come to the right place! Here, courtesy of the Altador Cup Committee itself, are the official rules and regulations for every aspect of Neopia's greatest sporting event. Contentious rules debates, begone!
Since making its triumphant return in Y8 after a 1,000-year hiatus, the Altador Cup has become a cornerstone of Neopian sporting culture. The tournament is held each year at the famed Colosseum in Altador, where teams take the field to play Altador's traditional game, Yooyuball. Each Altador Cup commences with a sign-up period and practice session, in which participants can choose a team and brush up on their skills. This year, team sign-ups and the practice round will begin on Wednesday, May 25th. The practice round will last until May 31st and the team sign-ups will end on June 6th.
The practice session is then followed by a 29 day tournament schedule that runs from June 1st
until June 29th
. The schedule consists of a quintet of five game rounds with four "bye" days included. In this year's tournament, 18 teams from the lands of Neopia will once again gather in Altador to compete in Yooyuball, along with three side games, Make Some Noise
, Slushie Slinger
, and Shootout Showdown
The celebrated centrepiece of the Altador Cup is Yooyuball
, which has been played in Altador for centuries. In Yooyuball, the object is to throw the ball into the opposing team's goal. Slings are used to carry and throw the ball, which is a curled-up Petpet called a Yooyu. Yooyus are native to Altador, and the strongest Yooyus are rigorously trained to participate in this prestigious tournament. Seven different types of Yooyu are used in the game, each of which has its own special attributes. Players never know which type of Yooyu will appear during the match, giving Yooyuball an element of unpredictability. Teams must be able to adjust their strategy and play depending on the type of Yooyu currently being used if they hope to be competitive in the Altador Cup.
To learn more about the history of the modern Altador Cup, please read the Neopedia entry
The Rules Committee
The three highly respected Altadorians who make up the Altador Cup Rules Committee have been entrusted with the duty of ensuring that the rules of Yooyuball are being followed properly. Though their decisions have occasionally been unpopular, everyone can agree that the Rules Committee's dedication to their task makes the Altador Cup more fun and fairer for all those who participate. It is due to their hard work that the Altador Cup runs smoothly year after year and remains Neopia's most celebrated sporting event.
When is the Altador Cup?
The Altador Cup schedule is as follows:
|5/25-5/31||Team sign-ups and practice rounds begin.|
|5/25-6/06||Team sign-ups are open.|
|6/01-6/29||Tournament play takes place.|
|6/30 ||Tiebreaker played (if necessary)|
|7/1 ||Y18 Altador Cup champions are announced and the Prize Shop opens.|
How do I participate?
How the Tournament Works:
- Start by joining one of the 18 teams that are competing in the Altador Cup this year. It's easy to do. You don't have to join a team if you just want to practise Yooyuball, but you won't earn any Prize Shop points, be able to play any of the other games included in the Altador Cup, or have a chance of winning one of the cool Altador Cup trophies unless you're playing for a team. New this year, be sure to join a team before sign-ups close on 6/06!
- This year, the Altador Cup tournament once again pits 18 teams, representing the lands of Neopia, against each other.
- Tournament play is made up of five rounds. For each round, six teams will be placed into one of three brackets.
- Each day, your team will face an opponent. You must contribute as much as you can to your team by playing not only Yooyuball, but also Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise, and Shootout Showdown.
- This year, there will be four "bye" days. The bye days will happen once per round during the first four rounds.
- Your results in each daily match-up contribute to your team's overall standing in the tournament. Please remember to help your team win all four daily match-ups.
- At the conclusion of every round, each team in a bracket will be rewarded points based on how they played in comparison to the other teams in their bracket. With each subsequent round, the point values increase, allowing teams that may have gotten off to a rocky start to catch up toward the end. After all five rounds have been played, the teams' points will be tallied up and (if necessary) any ties will be broken. That Friday, the results will be revealed and the champions will be named!
- New match-ups begin promptly at 12:00:00 A.M. NST every day. If there are any ties that need to be broken, the tiebreaker(s) will take place from 10am on Thursday, June 30th until 10am on Friday, July 1st.
Need more help? Check out the FAQ!